As a talent coach who’s been lucky enough to touch the success of hundreds of shows in North America and Europe over these years, there are consistent things the great ones do.
I’ve put a list together of the top 40 things winning programs and personalities do that help them grab that brass ring.
Last week’s First Ten can be found here. Our second installment is below.
It’s always interesting to see if talent see their show the same way a manager does. Share these lists with your people and ask them to grade themselves on each of the items. You, do, too. Then get together to compare answers. I bet you end up with a healthy strategic conversation that will help everyone grow.
May Week Two, the second ten:
- They rely less and less on canned prep services because they can create their own unique and original content.
- They understand that “facts tell and stories sell”. They are spectacular story-tellers.
- They are highly inquisitive about the world around them and that drives content development.
- They’re confident enough in what they don’t know and love to be challenged by people smarter than them.
- They take smart, strategic chances and are not afraid to “fail up”.
- They have mechanisms in place to resolve internal conflict in the team when it appears.
- They care about each other as people and can move the audience to care about them.
- They have a positive relationship with the managers and don’t see them as adversaries.
- In prep they develop more than they need so they can truly do the A-level ideas and be graded as such by listeners.
- They’re innovative and their ideas turn P2s into P1s.
Next Monday, ten more qualities of successful talent.
The only way to be EPIC is to challenge everyone to think differently.